[peel] The Future of the Peel slot

Pat Dibben pat183us@...
Thu Oct 28 16:30:14 CEST 2004

Andy et al.

"Does This Train Stop on Merseyside" is by Amsterdam.

http://www.amsterdam-music.com/home.html

Seems to only have been available as an internet only release.
Perhaps they could be persuaded to release it as a single in tribute to the great man.

How about a Lamacq show one night a week for the Indie-type stuff, a Kershaw show one night a week for the African/Reggae/Laura Cantrell type-stuff and a guest the other night to play whatever else tickles their fancy....?
I know it would never be the same but at least some of his eclectic tastes would still be aired.
Maybe it could still be called "The John Peel Show" too?

I know he is probably as upset as the rest of us but i haven't seen or heard any tributes from David Gedge yet...

Pat.

ANDREW MORRISON <morriso@...> wrote:
Well, I for one would find it joyous if presenters filled his slot playing through the vast archives of session tracks he's featured, but that would miss the mark due to lack of new music.  As the obituaries have said, John had little time for looking back on old music/bands, preferring to find the 'next big thing'.

It's important that whatever replaces his show remains eclectic.  Most of us do not have the spare time to listen to every different kind of genre-specific special interest show on the radio, and John's broadcasts were the best way to dip into the best selections from many different styles.  Of the suggestions I've read, having different, and sometimes guest presenters every few shows would be a great way to keep the variety of music flowing.  There's definitely a need for some sort of way to get new, unsigned bands involved - and, of course, keeping the new sessions rolling in.

The Louise/Hermeet idea is a good one - although we don't know if they have intentions of being presenters.  I'd love it if they continued to produce a show in the existing slot that still fitted the loose template, somehow - whether by using guest presenters, or other means.  The variety was the key element, however, and something that will never be exactly replicated.  Perhaps there is still scope for still calling the slot the "John Peel" show, just as they have been continuing to use his email address while Radio 1 mourns.

Despite the need for new music, I still feel any new show should always feature a full, repeated session from the archives - there's tons of wonderful material that's hardly been heard, and as there often seem to be legal and copyright reasons for not releasing them in record shops, to keep them on air from now on would be a regular way of marking respect to the Great Man.

It is all the more sadder that on what was to become John's last ever Radio 1 show, he congratulated me on getting a new job, while dedicating two records to my girlfriend and I after one of our cats was run down and killed.  I actually made a recording of the show, and saved the dedication as an audio file for my girlfriend to hear - I could upload it somewhere when I'm next online at home, if anyone would like to hear this brief excerpt from his last show - and the blues song he played for us.

Also, to appreciate his sense of humour, and genuine interest in his listeners, a visit to http://www.AndrewMorrison.co.uk/peel.html will allow you to stream and download some of our 'offensive content' disclaimers we recorded for the show - and his reactions to them when on air.  Well worth listening to, to provide heart warming examples of his personality.

It's all still sinking in, really.  A crying shame, to say the least.

I texted Mary Anne Hobbs last to, requesting they play that 'Does This Train Stop On Merseyside' song, as I shall always associate the track with him (he said it brought him to tears everytime he played it).  Am desperate to track it down - anyone know who it is by, and what album/single it can be found on?

Andy

Andrew Morrison
Email: morriso@...
Website: www.TrustNoOne.org.uk