[peel] Peel - The Future

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Wed Oct 27 13:12:04 CEST 2004

I'm a  big Zane Lowe fan. He's in the perfect slot for me and him at
present, so  I'm not suggesting him as a Peel replacement, but a little
respect would  be nice.

Lowe does a pretty decent job within the XFM/NME/MTV2 axis of supporting,
for want of a better term, 'hyped indie'. But he has neither the breadth nor the
 depth of knowledge to take Peel's slot. And he talks all over intros and
fades ;-)

Lamacq (and indeed Mark Radcliffe) are closer. But do either of them have
the dedication or desire to listen to 6 hours of demos every day?

What is becoming clear is regardless of the broadcasting vacuum (in terms  of
the programme itself) that Peel has left, a bigger vacuum is the "unbiased
third-party A&R" job that Peel has consistently performed. Replacing that  part
of the man's work is the really hard part - and the really essential  part.

Mark