[peel] MESmith on Newsnight

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Wed Oct 27 01:29:03 CEST 2004

>>    I was disappointed, to say the least, with  Mark E Smith.<<

Humbug.

It was fantastic, surreal television, especially when the camera cut  to MES,
gurning at the camera, and oblivious to the fact that he was being
addressed.

Basically MES was his usual blunt self. He said it was John Walters, not
Peel who had first approached him, which threw Gavin Essler somewhat. Essler
seemed to think all the bands were mates with Peel and clearly had no concept of
the relationship between Peel and MES - in fact MES put him straight in that
the  two had an agreement not to be matey. "Very professional" quoth MES.

Later on, after a waffling question, MES replied "am I allowed to speak
now?".

Shame it wasn't Jeremy Vine (ie someone who's heard Peel on a  programme
other than Home Truths) who did the interview.

I've needed cheering up today, and MES did the trick. Bet Peel would have
thought it was funny too that MES was prepared to give up valuable drinking
time to do the interview..

Mark