[peel] MESmith on Newsnight

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Wed Oct 27 01:06:47 CEST 2004

I was just in the middle of posting something similar.
It's through Peelie, I discovered The Fall, and have in excess of 15 of
their albums. I've never seen The Fall live or heard Mark E. Smith before
but I was sorely disappointed with him. The guy from The Undertones
explained that Peelie distanced himself from the artists, as he didn't want
to associate himself with the celebrity ethos. This I can understand, but
Smith's comments were just nothing and at the worst, smacked of ingratitude.
In fact, he actually said nothing.
Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: gforsyth@... [mailto:gforsyth@...]
Sent: 26 October 2004 23:50
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] MESmith on Newsnight

    I was disappointed, to say the least, with Mark E Smith.

   "The trouble with Smith is he can't even do that with dignity" as a
friend
   texted me afterwards.

    Ungracious, churlish and juvenile were my immediate thoughts.

    It was said today that John Peel had played Teenage Kicks twice in
   succession. I can vividly recall him playing Wah-hey by the Turbines
twice
   in a row, then following that with the wonderful intro to the same song.
   Twangy guitar. Fantastic.

     And that's it. Who now will play the new Fall releases?

   George Forsyth

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/