There is a light that never goes out

arclight2525 todsy94@...
Tue Nov 30 20:03:43 CET 2004

Glad to have found this group. A month gone and I still very sad
about John's death. I realised this last night when I finally felt
enough time had passed for me to be able to watch the BBC2 tribute
without feeling too sad. I was wrong, couldn't get to the end. And I
still can't listen to late night radio.

My older punk sister suggested I started listening to his show back
in the early 1980's. What a magical musical universe I found myself
in. Shaped my entire life. The first time John played me the likes of
the Cocteau Twins, The Jesus & Marychain, The Smiths and many, many
more was as good as falling in love.

I still have the Jesus & Marychain's debut session - with John Peel's
introduction and comments - on tape. I'll treasure that forever.

Year's later I wrote a book 'The working class Fever Pitch' and sent
it to John when in it's handwritten first draft. Sure enough several
weeks later he rang me with encouraging feedback that inspired me to
continue with it. A year later it was published.

Thanks for everything John Peel