Prog doc on BBC 4

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Sun Jan 25 12:42:18 CET 2004

>  > Frankly, "diamondgeezer", your ignorance is spectacular. Your
>screen name
>>  says it all. I'd give you a list of 20 post-punk bands championed
>by peel whose
>>  members continue to produce innovative music, but it would be a
>waste of time.
>  > Enjoy your copy of Tarkus.

it appears that Peel was mainly having a go at the likes of ELP, and
I know that he continued to support bands into the punk years who
evolved (Van der Graff / Hammill, for example).
If we get away from ELP - who probably defined the term 'prog' - and
look more at the stuff  that was lumped in with prog, then you see
that the likes of Pink Floyd et al probably aren't classed by Peel as
prog at all, probably 'psychedelic' or something (therefore they're
not down a 'blind alley' and therefore it's still ok to play them!)
And the Floyd's influence is still to be head in many bands -
Spiritualised for me the most biggest/obvious example. ELP is less to
be heard, but there are plenty of bands who get classed as
'prog'-influenced  (often rechristened as 'math-rock') - Tortoise &
Trans Am come to mind but there's as much free jazz in there as
anything else.
For a true post-punk/prog (with classical overtones) band I'd
recommend  Lapsus Linguae (www.lapsuslinguae.co.uk)