[peel] brief BBCWS article

Chris Lane c.lane@...
Mon Jan 19 16:02:43 CET 2004

Done

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Roche [mailto:troche@...]
Sent: 19 January 2004 13:35
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] brief BBCWS article

Last Updated: Friday, 16 January, 2004, 01:39 GMT

E-mail this to a friend   Printable version
Cover versions: John Peel
All this week, BBC World Service's The World Today programme is looking at
cover versions - songs re-recorded by another artist - to find what makes a
great cover, and why.

John Peel is one of the most respected and lasting names in music
broadcasting. Here he outlines what, for him, makes a good cover version.

I know loads of cover versions that are regarded as being better than the
original.

Sometimes there has been a really good original and then an even better
cover.

I like cover versions. I don't like cover versions when they're just a
faithful replica of the original - you get an awful lot of that and it seems
to me to be utterly pointless.

But when somebody comes along and does something original that you wouldn't
have expected, then that is particularly welcome.

One of my all-time favourite records is a 12-inch by some people called
Moloko. This was a single released in 1989, and it's a cover version of
Wilson Pickett's In The Midnight Hour.

In The Midnight Hour is a great record, but this is In The Midnight Hour
done soukous style. It was recorded in Florida, but it's got this
extraordinary soukous guitar playing.

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones' first albums were both full of cover
versions.

It's what they know - it's the tunes that they've been playing before they
had the confidence to write their own.

The Who, The Kinks - all of those '60s bands started off doing loads of
covers, and then they graduated into doing tunes that sounded as if they
might have been written by the people whose records they'd previously been
covering.

Then they developed their own characters.

Another great cover is a reggae version - by somebody called Merlene Webber
- of A Whiter Shade Of Pale.

People spend a great deal of time describing music and explaining why they
like it or don't like.

I prefer not to do that - mine is just an animal response to it. I wouldn't
wish to be able to analyse why I like things.

But I do like reggae and I like Whiter Shade Of Pale. The lyrics - which
were daft enough in the first place - have been learned parrot-fashion, and
thereby have been rendered even sillier than they were originally.

That gives it an added charm.

The World Today programme would like your comments, to be broadcast on air.
If you would like to comment on this story, please use the form on the
right.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ctdpqau/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
web/S=1705022409:HM/EXP=1074605694/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
ault?mqso=60178397&partid=4116730> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=872014028>

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: