[peel] Dull-ish Festive Fifty - it's still a throwback!

simon smith moomin@...
Wed Jan 7 15:18:27 CET 2004

In message <btgt8p+f8ik@...>, hemlyn2003
<christone@...> writes
>Did you know, a near-completely-new form of music kicked off in the
>late 1980s - house (let's call it post-1988) music.  Love it or hate
>it, it is the music of **your** times.  House changed all the rules,
>opened huge new horizons, and spawned dozens of living, evolving genres
>in a dramatically short time.  Peelie remains one of the few national
>radio DJ figures really to have grasped the significance of it all, and
>is, happily, able to apply his extensive experience to the essential
>task of quality control applied to the post-'88 music he plays.  And I
>can tell that he just loves dropping in the weirdest, biggest, least
>accessible and most outrageous post-'88 tracks in his programme to make
>people jump and plant the seeds of the new in his listeners' minds –
>I really do.  And I love `em….

I find that modern electronic music wears off me too quickly, except for
Autechre at their best. A lot of it seems ephemeral, which I think it's
supposed to be. Also there are groups that Peel plays like Plaid and
Boards of Canada who are pleasant, but hardly adventurous musically. As
I've got older my taste has become narrower and it takes a lot to excite
me, and the only group to be really stirring my pot in the ff were Melt
Banana. I was also glad to hear 'Black Math' because that's the only
really wild track on the White Stripes LP, a lot of which slipped back
into conventional rock posturing.
There's no reason why guitar music shouldn't be very strange, but at the
moment it isn't, as far as I've heard. So I agree with you and don't.

--
simon smith