[peel] Rob on the Peel Programme.

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Thu Dec 2 02:14:57 CET 2004

At 23:36 01/12/2004 +0000, cynicaldj wrote:

 >1. He either has deep suspicions or has actually been told that he IS
 >only temporary and that he won't be doing the Programme next year.

I agree with this.
My guess for what it is worth is as follows.   The show at present
is deliberately the Peel Show but without Peel.  This is going to
continue to Christmas.  After the Festive Fifty shows a line will be drawn
and a new evening lineup will appear with a completely new show.
I have no idea who will present it or if it will be eclectic programming
or something much more tightly defined.  We will have to wait and see and
keep our fingers crossed that it is something reasonable

I don't think it is fair to judge Rob on the pseudo-Peel shows since he has
a very tight
brief and I'm sure doesn't like some of the records he's been required to play
in the last few weeks..  As some one who listened to him regularly on Blue
Room
I know he does have a wide taste in music - it's just not the same as
Peel's was
although it overlaps in some areas.   It's unfair to say he is not
interested in music
- this year he even organised a music festival - most of the acts were
Breezeblock-style
dance acts and it's the indie end of things that he struggles with..  His
style of
presenting is much the some on Blue Room as it has been on Peel -
self-deprecating
and ironic.  The things he says shouldn't always be taken literally

martinw