Family to finish Biog

robfleay@... robfleay@...
Wed Dec 1 13:33:43 CET 2004

Family to finish Peel biog
(Wednesday December 01, 2004 12:00 AM)

John Peel's family will complete the writing of his autobiography.

As previously reported, the DJ signed a �1.6million deal with publishers Transworld in April 2003 for the rights to his life story.

At the time of his death last month he had complete only 50,000 words, about half the book.

Peel's widow Sheila said: "We thought long and hard about what we should do with John's autobiography."

"This book was very important to him and he was very excited about writing it."

She said it would be a "terrible waste" if his writing to date went unpublished and that she and his children will contribute "biographical material and personal reminiscences."

Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said they were aiming to "publish the book that I know John himself would have wanted."

Orion Books published the unauthorised "John Peel: A Tribute To The Hugely Popular DJ And Broadcaster" by Mick Wall on Friday [November 25].

Michael O'Mara Books followed with "John Peel: A Life In Music" by Michael Heatley yesterday [November 30].

The official John Peel biography is expected to be published in October 2005.