[peel] Re: BBC - DAT tapers wanted

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Tue Apr 6 15:58:52 CEST 2004

At 12:46 06/04/2004 +0000, you wrote:
 >I would have thought selling the tapes/CDs would be illegal, but actually
 >recording the show falls into your right of recording the radio for your
 >private listening in the future...
 >
 >After all, we all paid a bit for it (the old TV licence argument).

That's to the BBC not the copyright holders if we are going to be pedantic.!

The personal use argument (if it applies at all and I think its more
a matter of them not enforcing it rather than you having a legal right to
do it)
applies only for YOUR personal use - passing your recording to anyone else
whether free, exchange or sold is definitely illegal

Having said that it's obviously not worth anyones while chasing up individual
deals like those that get mentioned on this list although its probably sensible
to do the actual negotiations offlist.

The copyright laws are ridiculous as they are because they are mostly
unenforceable
This doesn't stop record and film company executives the world over from
campaigning to make them tougher (and therefore even more unenforceable)
Thanks to venal and stupid politicians they are being quite successful -
there are
some very draconian laws heading our way - they just haven't been enforced yet

martinw - being careful!