[peel] East Anglian Daily Times Sept 27 First grandson for veteran DJ

McKINNON Dougal d.mckinnon@...
Mon Sep 29 09:29:32 CEST 2003

Peel's daughter obviously not listening to the advice from Half Man,
Half Biscuit about naming kids on their track "Breaking News":-

"Don't call him Fred or Archie......
Unless you really do have plans for him to spend all his time in William
Hills
Waiting for them to weigh in at Newton Abbot"

dougal mckinnon
Tel: 01782 294832
E-mail: d.mckinnon@...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Roche [mailto:troche@...]
Sent: 28 September 2003 15:05
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] East Anglian Daily Times Sept 27 First grandson for
veteran DJ

First grandson for veteran DJ

September 27, 2003 06:26

By Rebecca Sheppard
VETERAN DJ John Peel is celebrating after becoming a grandfather - and
has been searching through his extensive record collection to find a
suitable track for his first grandson.

Archie was born at Ipswich Hospital at 8.21am on Wednesday to proud
parents Alexandra, Mr Peel's 25-year-old daughter, and Ashley, 29.

Mr Peel, who has a three-nights-a-week show on Radio 1 and also presents
Home Truths on Radio 4, said the programmes he had broadcasted from his
home in Great Finborough, near Stowmarket, this week had been "very
strange".
He added: "Tuesday night I was slightly hysterical as Alexandra had been
in labour for about 24 hours by the time that I started the programme. I
was getting more and more anxious and fraught.

"On Wednesday night when I tried to announce Archie's birth,I started to
cry. I've got a recording somewhere of doing exactly the same thing when
my son William was born and I had to put a record on quickly. At least
there is consistency."

Mr Peel said Thursday night's programme had been devoted to finding
tracks with Archie in the title.
"We had lots of e-mails saying congratulations to Alexandra and Ashley
from all over the world with suggestions of tracks we could play," he
added.
"In between playing records I was rushing around the house to find them.
The only one I could find was Archie the Red Nose Reindeer, which is a
reggae record and not entirely appropriate."
Looking at his grandson yesterday, who weighed 7lb 7oz when he was born
on the same ward as his mum, aunt and two uncles, Mr Peel said: "He
doesn't look like a baby, he hasn't got a fleshy face as babies have.
"You can see he's got a little personality. He looks like a person, not
a jelly baby."

Although Mr Peel, 64, said it felt "pretty good" to be a grandfather, he
conceded: "It won't make me feel and younger and I don't think it will
make my knees feel any better."
The long-serving DJ - who has introduced generations of radio listeners
to hip hop, reggae and punk - said he would probably not try to
encourage Archie into the music industry on the basis he had done
"poorly" with his own children.
The family will also be waiting on tenterhooks to see which football
team Archie supports.

It is already divided as Mr Peel supports his home team Liverpool, his
wife Sheila has allegiances to Ipswich Town Football Club, while Ashley,
Archie's dad, is a Queens Park Rangers fan.

But as Archie was wearing a blue-and-red striped romper suit yesterday,
his grandfather voiced suspicions he will be a Crystal Palace supporter.

Copyright (c) 2003 Archant Regional. All rights reserved.
Terms and conditions

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
022409:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?c
ode=30509&media=atkins> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1706996/rand=872625302>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and
any attachment from your computer.