Lynn News : Serving West Norfolk / Kings Lynn

Tom Roche troche@...
Wed Sep 10 05:15:00 CEST 2003

Vote to save the Greyfriars Tower in Lynn.

   http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=991&ArticleID=655461

Veteran DJ swots up to sending leaning tower to the top

VETERAN Radio One DJ John Peel took a closer look around Lynn's
Greyfriars Tower in advance of the national Restoration final on
Sunday.

Council officers took the popular commentator and musical guru around
the 14th century Franciscan tower for two hours on Friday.

He had acted as advocate for the tower in BBC Two's Restoration
series last month when the tower triumphed over rivals Moulton Mill
in Lincolnshire and a fort in Tilbury, Essex.

Mr Mark Fuller, from West Norfolk Council's property services
department, said Mr Peel had not wanted any publicity about the visit
and had made it in his own time.
He said: "Last time he had viewed it externally, this time we thought
we would give him the opportunity to speak to the officers involved,
giving a more rounded picture of its background, and see inside the
tower."

Council staff were preparing to head for the Tower of London for the
live final of the Restoration series, which will see one of ten
buildings at risk being rescued and restored.

Lines open for phone votes on Thursday.

To vote for the leaning tower of Lynn call 09010 775002.