[peel] Re: F50, WBWG, vote rigging etc.

Dan Butt danbutt@...
Wed Nov 19 12:06:49 CET 2003

Just a few things. I take the WBWG point to a large
extent, although I don't really think that the B bit of it
is a problem, if by a "problem" we mean that the FF
doesn't reflect what Peel plays during the year - I've
always felt that female acts do *relatively* well in the
FF.  (The top 10 last year had 2 female solo artists
and two female fronted bands, as well as one male /
female duo - that's not bad at all.) Of course, there
isn't enough female produced music out there, but I
think Peel does a good job picking up what there is,
and the FF does a reasoanble job of reflecting it.
Period Pains, anyone?

I must say, though, that I really don't see the point of
not ordering the tracks. The concern, it seems to me,
is that the non WBWG tracks don't get into the 50 at
all, not particularly that they are concentrated in the
lower reaches of the chart. Again, if I look at last
year's chart, I can't see a pattern at all. That's
certainly true of dance records in general over the
years - they can end up pretty much anywhere in the
chart (look at Underworld, LSG, H Foundation, etc.)
Perhaps the black music that's got in has been more
towards the bottom, but even then there have been
exceptions (Public Enemy at 14, which is still too
low, but hey, and Dreadzone up at 5 - and 9 and
16...) The problem with the Bhundu Boys'
Festive Fifty history isn't that "My Foolish Heart" only
got to 30, but that they only ever had one entry

So I suppose the justification must be that not
ordering the tracks would lead to less tactical voting
and campaigns, but again, I don't see any reason
why that would be the case. My suspicion is that
most of the block voting that goes on is intended to
get records into the 50 in the first place. It's then a
question of how successful a campaign has been
that determines how high up it actually goes. It's at
least possible that not ordering it would lead to more
attempts to get records in there, as there would be a
sense that to be joint "song of the year" you just had
to get into the 50.

But my main objection is just the extent to which not
ordering the chart would take the fun and excitement
of the countdown out of it. Speaking as someone for
whom the FF is the highlight of the year (seriously,
bar none!), it wouldn't have the same feel at all if the
50 songs were just played at random. And you'd
completely lose the joy and excitement of some of
the great (non campaign assisted) triumphs bands
have had over the years. That would be a shame,
surely?

Anyway, if you all email in to suggest that it's
changed, I'll do the opposite, AND get the Saloon
mailing list to do the same :)

Having said all that, I do think that there's no point to
ordering the 3 individual votes - there'd be no harm
in changing that.

Dan