[peel] Re: Sisters of Mercy

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Mon Jun 30 16:32:10 CEST 2003

tapingguy wrote
 >Peel sessions seem to come under copyright issues - from what I can
 >gather.

Not public domain
Depending on the terms of the contract at the time it's some
combination of the BBC, the artist and whatever record company
they were signed to at the time of recording.  If it's a major they
usually own all the artists output including anything done for radio
Which is why for example Strange Fruit could put out the
first couple of Siouxsie sessions (done at a time before they
were signed to Polydor) but not the later ones

 >as far as I know ogg is lossy so I haven't bothered looking at it,
 >although it is supposed to be better than mp3. A 90+min gig can
 >be stored on a cdr using FLAC no problem, so thats fine for me. FLAC
 >is open-source as well so it has little chance of becoming obsolete
 >so I'm going to stick with that.

It's the eternal quantity versus quality thing that everyone has to
come to their own resolution of

 >it takes ages whatever you do. I pick a few tapes at a time and
 >ask if anything better - sometimes preFM tapes leak into circulation
 >which are obviously infinitely better than broadcast recorded tapes,
 >if it exists I try and get a copy of that and throw the tape - if
 >there are no copies around then I transfer my own version. 6music
 >also helps out from time to time. I upgraded all my Smiths tapes
 >the other week with their week long special. ( Although a good
 >Glasgow 9/25/85 FM would be most welcome if anyone has a copy)

Trouble in my case is that there are far too many for the work involved
and they are mostly on poor quality tape anyway (cost has always been
a major factor with me).  It'll probably just get put off indefinitely!

martinw