[peel] Re: Sisters of Mercy

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Fri Jun 27 20:31:31 CEST 2003

tapingguy wrote

 >maybe - it depends on the parameters you use - 256k mp3 is
 >supposed to be almost transparent to artifacts and you don't have
 >any tape compression and hiss artifacts to cope with.
 >
 >The same isn't true when comparing live->mp3 and tape->mp3
 >since tape adds hiss which the mp3 encoder

There is a distinction between recording current stuff where most
people have the means to get a clean signal and can suit themselves
how to record it and older stuff.where you are stuck with how it was done
originally.   One great thing about Freeview is that you a good clean
signal or nothing.   There aren't very many people with perfect FM reception
(I never have) and of course there is even some stuff that only went
out in AM, Then it would have been put onto tape and  as a consequence
any copy you make now in whatever medium is going to start degraded

 >You can use lossless audio coding like shn and flac but they
 >typically only give somewhere approaching 2:1 data compression
 >and the music is stored as data and can be played in winamp. I
 >use this format quite a bit to archive my DAT tapes so they don't
 >rot away and survive past the death of the format.
Have you tried .ogg rather than mp3 - that's supposed to be good

I've not yet faced up to what to do with all the stuff I've got on old tapes
It's at the same time priceless and deteriorating!

martinw