[peel] Off topic Brit culture question

Rob Brewer rbrwr@...
Mon Feb 24 13:47:52 CET 2003

At 12:14 24/02/03 +0000, Frances Castle wrote:

>Brenda is short for elizabeth.. so I guess it comes from that

Er, what?

I really didn't expect to be doing a survey of baby-naming web
sites today, but they seem to agree that "Elizabeth" is from Hebrew,
meaning "God is bountiful", while "Brenda" is from Norse, meaning
"sword", or Gaelic, meaning "raven". How did Brenda get to be short
for Elizabeth?

Anyway, they also called Prince Charles "Brian", Pricess Di "Cheryl"
and Princess Margaret "Yvonne". Explain those ;-)

Fun fact: I share my birthday with the actress who plays Brenda on
Six Feet Under.

Rob