a Melt-Banana story I wrote

Tom Roche troche@...
Sun Feb 9 07:08:29 CET 2003

I asked a friend yesterday what she thought of the article I'd
written, and she didn't know what I was talking about. I realized
that while I'm quick to send out all sorts of stories by other
writers, I usually forget to distribute pieces I've written myself.
The following appeared in the most recent issue of Atlanta's STOMP
AND STAMMER magazine.

I had sent this out to just 3 or 4 people and I have forgotten to
whom... so if you had it already sorry you get it again.

Cheers, tom.

MELT-BANANA REDEFINES EVERYTHING YOU KNOW
by Tom Roche
Stomp And Stammer Magazine January 03

EAST ATLANTA - It's 3AM Monday night, The Echo Lounge has closed up,
and we have sauntered home in a state of sonic shellshock. No, I
don't want to write about Melt-Banana. Not tonight. Not ever. There
are a finite number of words and linguistic tricks in music writer's
toolbox, and the good ones have been used up. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum.
There's little left to say that can do this band justice.

An unforgettable night for all, but just another night on the road
for Melt-Banana.  "Unlistenable noise" say some. "F-----g awesome"
say others. Melt-Banana is both. Melt-Banana is neither. No confusion
there: everything has been re-defined. The thesaurus goes in the
digital trash can.

To explain Melt-Banana a new language is needed, and there ain't one around.

They are two gals, two guys. From Japan. The fastest band you will
likely ever see. Every generation thinks they have discovered fast.
Yeah, what about 90's speedcore? And before that, what about
Mahavisnu Orchestra? And before that, Jimi Hendrix? And before that,
Lionel Hampton? And on and on back through time. Well good bye to all
that. A word as basic as "fast" is now re-defined.

The house lights dim, they take the stage. Guitar, bass, drums and a
smiling girl. OK, fine. Big deal. Lead vocalist Yasuko "Yako" Onuki
takes center stage. "Heh-looo!" Big smile. "Wee-arhŠ meltbananaŠ frum
tokeeyojapan."  How cute. How sweet. We might even be in for some
Pizzicato Five sort of silliness.

And then the swirl of raging noise begins. Her smile turns neutral.
She holds the mic stand at arm's length, stirring it slowly, slowly,
eyes transfixed on a vague spot in the back of the room. Swirl
redefined. Onslaught redefined.  Thunder redefined. This could be
trouble.  Building. Towering. Louder. LouderŠ

BAMbamstopstartstopstartyellwhispertellscreechtwangsirenstopstartrumbg=
renstopstartrumblecascadetwichscreechtwangSTOP.

Pause. She pulls the mic to her lips. "PLOT IN A POT! PLOT IN A POT!
BANKRUPT'S BIRTHDAY! BURNING BANQUET! PLOT IN A POT! PLOT IN A POT!"

Pause.

Stic-stic-stick. ROARRRR-blam-yelling-pleading-whisper-yes-no-yes-no-blam.
Siren-screech-twang-slam-roar-twang-STOP. "BLOODSHOT BUSMAN! BREAKS
UP BUS STOP! PLUG IT IN PUT IT OUT! PLUG IT IN PUT IT OUT! GRATING
SEEDS CRAZE! PLOT IN A POT!
Screeech-yes-no-yes-no-yes-no-stopstartnobassroarfuzzscreechŠ.

"SEEDS CAN TELL YOU HOW TO POP OUT!" stop!

Pause. Silence. Smile. Meekly: "Thenk-yoo."  Stunned applause.

My God. My God! What just happened? Newcomers are reduced to 50's
flying saucer movie dialog: Where did they come from? What do they
want?

The initial entre-nous to the Melt-Banana world for many, it must be
admitted, is comic spectacle. "Early Husker Dü fronted by a ferocious
Chihuahua," said one review. "They make Atari Teenage Riot seem like
Barry Manilow," said another. "A slight Japanese woman has screamed
at me all nightŠ." And so on. I mean, what nerve, what balls, to
blast an extended blipvert of musical noise under random
caterwauling/ chirping, and expect to get away with it. Hilarious.
Hey, do that again - it'll be funny too. Go on, hit me.

But soon it is the 10th song, the 20th song. Err, um, this joke isn't
funny anymore. This is nowhere near as random and scattered as once
thought. This is densely ordered chaos, sprung from an orderly
culture. This is jaw-dropping precision, unclockable speed. These
kids mean business. We have entered the strata of pure art, undiluted
by any discernable influence. Sure there are probably obscure
influences in their little Japanese-avant-thash universe at home, The
Boredoms maybe, but realistically speaking they are out there all
alone. Pioneering trailblazers no one has ever caught up with.

This is a band that puts in the miles, and then some. A 2002 40-city
tour in 51 days, in a NYC/Seattle/LA/Georgia/NYC loop. Back and forth
across America, over and over. Europe too. Together for 9 years.

Swish pan. Wide shot. Exterior, twilight. A COUPLE at a pay phone
just off the highway in Montclair New Jersey. Cut to Close-up. A
question is asked:

Q: So your tour ended yesterday at the Knitting Factory and you're
flying back to Japan?
A: Ahh, no. (traffic noise) One gig tonight in Montclair then we fly
back home. This was 5th US tour.

Yako has agreed to an interview.