Lonnie Donegan dead-Guardian obit

palacese25 nburling@...
Tue Nov 5 14:45:25 CET 2002

Lonnie Donegan, sultan of skiffle, dies at 71

John Ezard
Tuesday November 5, 2002

Lonnie Donegan, father of skiffle, first global superstar of British
pop and the first to popularise black music, has died on tour aged
71, it was announced yesterday.
His out-of-the blue hits in 1955 with versions of John Henry and
Leadbelly's Rock Island Line at the age of 24 began a revolution in
the charts and in the taste of the young.

He remains admired by generations of younger artists, including Mark
Knopfler, Brian May and Van Morrison. A spokeswoman for Donegan
said: "In a career that covered over 50 years, he inspired nearly
every major musician alive today."

Donegan was due to sing in a tribute concert for George Harrison in
London later this month. Paul McCartney once said of him: "When we
were kids in Liverpool, the man who really started the craze for
guitars was Lonnie Donegan.

"We studied his records avidly. We all bought guitars to be in a
skiffle group. He was the man."

Donegan, who had a history of heart trouble, complained of feeling
unwell after performing in Nottingham. He died in Peterborough at the
home of friends.

His death ends a career which started when he formed a band with the
jazzman Chris Barber in the early 1950s. Barber, who is touring in
Germany, could not be contacted. Last night his longstanding friend
and associate Vic Gibbons said no one should be sad that Donegan was
still in harness when he died. "He loved performing. It was not
something he had to do financially."

He added: "I think Chris will be particularly upset because their
association has continued. There have been various anniversary
concerts where they have reassembled the band complete with liniment
and Zimmer frames".

Donegan, who called himself Lonnie in homage to the black blues
guitarist Lonnie Johnson, was the son of a Glasgow classical
violinist. His father, often unemployed, moved the family to east
London in 1933 and discouraged his son from a musical career.

Donegan bought his first guitar at 14, learning from BBC radio to
play songs like Frankie and Johnny and Puttin' on the Style. These
led him to the music of Josh White, Bessie Smith and Leadbelly.

In 1952 he formed a band with Barber and Ken Colyer, just deported
from the US for playing with black musicians. "They did not think
there could be money in it," Gibbons said. "The motive was
commitment. They used to drive from London and Manchester and back
the same day, for a £30 fee."

Donegan took the word skiffle, meaning party, from a US record
sleeve. In 1955 a BBC pop show host attacked an album by the band for
jazzing up a number by Gracie Fields.

Thanks to this the album sold well, prompting Decca to issue singles
of Donegan's John Henry and Rock Island Line. These topped the
British and US charts.

"Because the music was so new, people could not get it into their
heads that it would last a long time," Gibbons said.

Donegan had a string of hits including novelty songs such as My Old
Man's A Dustman, but by the mid-60s his glory days were over, and he
retreated into comedy and cabaret.

Elton John, Ringo Starr and Brian May paid tribute by playing on
Donegan's 1978 album Puttin' on the Style, and Donegan teamed up with
Van Morrison for a 1999 recording, Skiffle Sessions.

In 1997 Donegan received a lifetime achievement award. In November
2000 he collected an MBE from Buckingham Palace. Donegan said: "When
Prince Charles presented it to me, he said 'Not before time Lonnie,
not before time'. And I said 'You're damn right, mate' - or words to
that effect."

--- In peel@y..., Dougal McKinnon <d.mckinnon@s...> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2400229.stm
>

> 'Skiffle king' Donegan dies
>
> Musician Lonnie Donegan, known as the "king of skiffle", has died
aged 71.
> The Glasgow-born singer was midway through a UK tour after
recovering
> from a heart operation earlier this year and was due to play a
concert
> in Stoke, Staffordshire, on Monday.
>
> One of the most successful recording artists of the pre-Beatles
era, he
> had three number one hits and numerous top 10 entries in the UK
chart.

> The star was with his wife and son when he died in Peterborough,
> Cambridgeshire, on Sunday at about 0230 GMT. He had been
complaining of
> back trouble shortly before he fell ill.
>
> Donegan was staying with friends during his tour. His last
performance
> was in Nottingham - the first city he played when he became a star
in
> 1957.
>
> The skiffle king's hits included Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its
> Flavour, My Old Man's A Dustman, Cumberland Gap and Puttin' on the
> Style.
>
> His more recent work with Van Morrison led to a resurgence in his
> career. His skiffle music was a mixture of folk, jazz, gospel and
the
> blues.
>
> Dire Straits guitarist Mark Knopfler, who recently played with
Donegan
> in London, called him one of his greatest musical influences.
>
> Elvis recorded one of his songs, I'm Never Gonna Fall in Love
Again,