Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: holidays

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Tue Feb 19 00:43:30 CET 2002

Charles Smith wrote :

 >I don't think that  he really likes any of the nu-metal/grunge bands very
 >much.  Lamacq used to cater mainly for Indie Kids but the demographics have
 >changed so much that the people who a few years ago would have been
 >listening to Blur/Pulp/Radiohead ect.. are now listening to bizkuit ect...

Unfortunately I think it's Lamacqs show (together with NME which he follows
slavishly) which has led that demographic change not followed it.
He spent his holiday last year going around America following a bunch of
grunge bands so he is genuinely enthusiastic about them

 >I think thats one of the reasons behind the change, they are trying to
 >experiment with putting the rock show at a more reasonable hour.

If they wanted that all they have to do is switch it back to its traditional
space of late Friday evening - the rap show is now ridiculously early

 >Dance is given a ridicolous amount of prime time slots.

Only at the weekends when its appropriate for its audience

 >Which means less welknown acts can't be played, so it
 >becomes a show for unoriginal guitar rock both indie and metal.

That's the point of the Evening show.  It always has played only
'mainstream' indie.
Peel's there for the new stuff
I wasn't complaining about there being rock in Lamacq's show (although I
personally
hate it because its so unoriginal but the show is not aimed at me
and I accept that) - just pointing out that Lamacq has now moved so far
away from
Peel in his tastes that he's not a viable replacement anymore unless you
want a
completely different sort of show
When Peel goes the show goes with him unfortunately

martinw