the Peel cd backlog

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Sun Sep 23 17:31:30 CEST 2001

With Tom's detailed analysis of how records are chosen for airplay,
and the general impression that he and everyone else will have got
that it's a long process due to the sheer numbers of cd's that Jon
has to wade through, I thought I'd tell you the short story of how
one band from Edinburgh - Guernica, made it onto the airwaves.
They recorded a demo at home one weekend - the 1st and 2nd of
September. Got it onto computer and burned a cd and popped a few
copies in the post on the Monday. (I got one on the Tuesday).
On the Wednesday Peelie played it on the show!
(www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/tracklistings/peel_050901.shtml)
A mystery to me how it made it to the top of the pile, I can only
assume that John had a listen to some of the stuff that arrived in
the post on the Tuesday and was impresssed enough to get it into the
next day's show.