Pickin' the Blues

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Thu Nov 8 22:53:59 CET 2001

Some more finger pickin' research. There's no knowing when it was
written, but Pickin' the Blues was recorded by:

Chet Atkins in 1954
Elmore James in New York City in late 1962 or early 1963 with Elmore
James: vocal/guitar; Walking Willie: piano
Cowboy Copas in 1966

BUT intriguingly

Memphis Minnie (Minnie McCoy) Louisiana blues singer and guitarist
recorded Pickin' the Blues in 1931.  Songs of hers include "Pickin' the
Blues", and "Bumble Bee" (evolved by others such as Waters, Muddy into
"Honey Bee"). It's not exactly the same song, but is close enough to
influence the others.  Go to
http://www.ladysixstring.com/artists/blues/MemphisMinnie/ and follow the
links to listen to Playing the Blues 2. Don't miss out, she sounds
amazing.

Minnie was born in 1897 and started recording in 1920
James started playing at the age of 10 in 1928, and recording in 1951.
Copas started playing in 1940 and recording in 1946
Atkins was born in 1924 and started recording in 1952

My guess is Pickin' the Blues pre-dates Memphis Minnie, and was just a
traditional blues song which evolved.

John Bravin