Festive Fifty 2000

djhc2@... djhc2@...
Fri Jan 5 18:15:13 CET 2001

As someone who has never, ever, EVER had one of their votes included in
the FF (and I voted twice one year!), I can't go wild about the 2000
selection. Some much-loved stuff, esp with superb albums by the Fall and
Polly Jean (tho' where was Kamikaze?). It's notable that others have
said how pleased they were to see things like Calexico included (me
too), since they're mentioning the minority interest. The usual stuff --
white boy guitar rock -- just puzzles me. I'd have liked to have seen at
least a little dance music and a good deal less C&W (same goes for the
whole year's programmes, but we must indulge the old fella). I guess
this must mean that Peelie has a bigger audience than we might imagine,
stragglers from the Evening Session who are listening out precisely for
things like Clinic's Levis ad and '80s nostalgia (Gedge) fans . Ho hum.
There were some great tunes this year in any case, and it's only a poll.
I'd just love to know what appeared from 51-100. Peelie must know what
they were.

Here's to hearing at least three more magnificent tracks this year that
won't appear in the 2001 FF.

David Clifford
Thirty-five and three-quarters, and a student until just two months ago.

1. Calexico - The crystal frontier
2. E.Z. Rollers - The cops don't like us
3. Atomic Soul Experiences - Run through the night