Academic Survey

onlineresearch2000@... onlineresearch2000@...
Mon Sep 11 00:42:40 CEST 2000

Dear fellow members,

I am conducting an academic survey on mobile/wireless financial
services as part of my postgraduate dissertation.  Already, more than
300 people have taken part in my survey.  However, in order to
construct a meaningful marketing model I really need more people's
support.

I would be grateful if you could kindly help me by completing the
questionnaire below and return it back to me at
onlineresearch2000@... before Thur 14 Sept. 2000.  A summary
of findings from the survey will be sent later to those who have
taken part.

If you are not interested, please simply ignore this message and I
sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

Anthony  Winter

***********************************
Questionnaire
***********************************
(1)
Do you have a mobile phone/device ?

( )Yes
( )No

If Yes, go to Question (2).
If No , go to Question (4).

(2)
How many and what types of mobile phone/device do you have ?

(1, 2 or 3) Mobile Phone
(1, 2 or 3) WAP Mobile Phone
(1, 2 or 3) PDA/Handheld
(1, 2 or 3) Portable PC
Others ________________

(3)
How long have you been using your mobile phone/device ?

( )less than 6 months
( )less than 1 year
( )less than 1 and a half year
( )less than 2 years
( )less than 2 and a half year
( )less than 3 years
( )less than 3 and a half year
( )less than 4 years.
( )more than 4 years.

(4)
How many bank accounts do you have at present ?

( )none
( )one
( )two
( )three
( )four
( )Others_____________

(5)
How many banks/companies do you prefer to handle all your
banking/financial
services/products ?

( )one
( )two
( )three
( )four
( )five

(6)
Which of the following banking channels do you use on a regular
basis ?

( )High street branches
( )ATM / Cash point machines.
( )Phone banking
( )PC Internet/Home banking (with or without special software
installed).
( )Mobile/wireless banking (with mobile phone/device).

(7)
How satisfied are you with your current banking channels ?

High street branches
--------------------
( )Not satisfied at all.
( )Fairly satisfied.
( )Satisfied.
( )Very satisfied.
( )Extremely satisfied.

ATM / Cash point machines
-------------------------
( )Not satisfied at all.
( )Fairly satisfied.
( )Satisfied.
( )Very satisfied.
( )Extremely satisfied.

Phone banking
-------------
( )Not satisfied at all.
( )Fairly satisfied.
( )Satisfied.
( )Very satisfied.
( )Extremely satisfied.

PC Internet/Home banking
------------------------
( )Not satisfied at all.
( )Fairly satisfied.
( )Satisfied.
( )Very satisfied.
( )Extremely satisfied.

Mobile/wireless banking
-----------------------
( )Not satisfied at all.
( )Fairly satisfied.
( )Satisfied.
( )Very satisfied.
( )Extremely satisfied.

(8)
Please rank the following banking channels according to your own
preference.
(1 = most preferred / 5 = least preferred)

( )High street branches
( )ATM / Cash point machines.
( )Phone banking
( )PC Internet/Home banking.
( )Mobile/wireless banking.

(9)
How important are multi-channels (eg. branch, ATM, phone, Internet)
to you
in banking ?

( )Not at all important.
( )Fairly important.
( )Important.
( )Very important.
( )Extremely important.

(10)
Are you a user of mobile banking services/products and how long have
you
been a user ?

( )not a user.
( )less than 6 months
( )less than 1 year
( )less than 1 and a half year
( )less than 2 years
( )less than 2 and a half year
( )less than 3 years
( )less than 3 and a half year
( )less than 4 years
( )more than 4 years.

(11)
If you are NOT using mobile/wireless banking services/products at
present,
which of the following are the factors/reasons ?
(you can choose more than one)

( )Happy with current banking channels.
( )No need for "anytime" banking transactions/functions.
( )No need for "anywhere" banking transactions/functions.
( )No need for immediate banking transactions/functions.
( )Poor navigation/control/usability of mobile phone/device.
( )Mobile/wireless banking is Not available or not sure it is
available
where I live/bank.
( )Mobile/wireless banking is Not well developed where I live/bank.
( )Don't like some features of mobile phone/device (eg. colours,
weight &
design).
( )Don't like mobile phone/device at all.
( )Don't trust mobile phone/device in mobile/wireless banking
environment.
( )Poor transmission coverage by mobile phone/device.
( )Possible health risk.
( )Bad/negative coverage and publicity in the media (eg. TV, radio,
press).
( )Lack of human spontaneous/face-to-face interaction with bank staff.
( )No time to consider/investigate mobile/wireless banking yet.
( )Don't want to rush into mobile banking yet.
( )Concern about this new technology outside mainstream banking
channels.
( )High cost of mobile device.
( )High cost of dial-up connection/transmission.
( )High bank charges.
( )Too complicated to operate mobile banking transactions.
( )Screen size of mobile device is too small.
( )Mobile device's screen is only "black & white" (2 colours only).
( )Mobile device is too heavy in weight.
( )Too difficult to type text/message on mobile device.
( )Mobile device can NOT access the Internet.
( )Too difficult to navigate the Internet with mobile phone/device.
( )Concern about Security/privacy/confidentiality of personal
information
and transactions.
( )Concern about Accuracy of transactions.
( )Concern about quality of call reception/connection.
( )Concern about speed of transactions.
( )Local bank branches are NOT far away.
( )Others__________________.

(12)
How much do you know about mobile/wireless banking ?

( )Never heard of it before.
( )I have heard about it but don't know how it works.
( )I know how it works and its benefits.

(13)
Is mobile/wirelss banking available where you live/bank ?

( )Yes
( )No
( )Don't know

(14)
Is mobile/wireless banking well developed where you live/bank ?

( )Yes
( )No
( )Don't know

(15)
Do you know how to open/start an account of mobile banking ?

( )Yes
( )No

(16)
Do you believe subscribing financial services/products on a
mobile/wireless
channel would help you

( )save time.
( )save money.
( )save time and money.
( )none of the above

(17)
Do you think the mobile/wireless channel will be

( )an addition to your current banking channels.
( )a replacement for your current banking channels.

(18)
How important is Security/Privacy/Confidentiality of transactions and
customer information to you in mobile/wireless banking environment ?

( )Not at all important.
( )Fairly important.
( )Important.
( )Very important.
( )Extremely important.

(19)
How important is the quality of financial services/products offered
to you
in mobile/wireless banking ?

( )Not at all important.
( )Fairly important.
( )Important.
( )Very important.
( )Extremely important.

(20)
What types of banking/financial services/products would you like to
access
or use on mobile channel ?

( )Tracking Account Balances
( )Cheque Book Ordering
( )Making Money Transfer Within Same Bank
( )Making Money Transfer With Other Banks
( )Tracking Transfers
( )Paying Bills
( )Tracking Payments
( )Buying/Selling of Shares
( )Stock Alerts/Quotes
( )Foreign Currency Dealing
( )Life Insurance
( )House Insurance
( )Car Insurance
( )Travel Insurance
( )Credit Card Account Management
( )Credit Card Transactions
( )Financial Advice
( )Financial News Updates and Graphs
( )Home Mortgage
( )Pension
( )Personal Loan
( )Business Loan
( )Unit Trust
( )Mutual Funds
( )Asset Management
( )Others_____________

(21)
Which of the following factors/issues would (did) you consider
important
when choosing a bank/company of mobile/wireless banking
services/products ?
(you can choose more than one)

( )How easy/difficult to operate mobile/wireless banking by yourself.
( )Screen size of mobile device.
( )Multi-colours of display on mobile device's screen.
( )Weight of mobile device.
( )Colour of mobile device.
( )Cost of mobile device.
( )Cost of dial-up connection/transmission.
( )Bank charges.
( )How easy/difficult to type text/message on mobile device.
( )Access to the Internet with mobile device.
( )How easy/difficult to navigate the Internet.
( )Security/privacy/confidentiality of personal information and
transactions.
( )Accuracy of transactions.
( )Quality of call reception/connection.
( )Speed of transactions.
( )Lack of human/face-to-face/spontaneous interaction.
( )Reputation of the supplying bank/company.
( )Immediate access by mobile phone/device.
( )Distance of local bank branches.
( )Others________________.

(22)
What features would you like to use when making banking transactions
on your
mobile device ?

( )Text.
( )Sound.
( )Graphic.
( )Animation.
( )Always-on (continuous) connection.
( )Others_______________

(23)
You are

( )Male
( )Female

(24)
Your age is

( )Under 18
( )18 to 25
( )26 to 35
( )36 to 45
( )46 to 55
( )56 to 65
( )Above 65

(25)
Your education level is

( )Primary School education
( )Secondary School education
( )College/further education
( )Bachelor degree
( )Master degree
( )Doctoral degree
( )Others__________________

(26)
Your profession is

( )Academic/Educator
( )Consultant/Analyst
( )Engineering
( )Finance/Investment/Share Dealing
( )Homemaker
( )HR/Training
( )IS/System Development
( )PR/Communications/Advertising
( )Professional (doctors, lawyers, etc)
( )Retired
( )Sales/Marketing
( )Self-employed/Own Company
( )Service/Customer Service
( )Student
( )Others_____________________________

(27)
Household income per year.

( )Less than £ 5,000
( )£ 5,000 to £ 10,000
( )£ 10,000 to £ 20,000
( )£ 20,000 to £ 30,000
( )£ 30,000 to £ 40,000
( )£ 40,000 to £ 50,000
( )£ 50,000 to £ 60,000
( )£ 60,000 to £ 70,000
( )£ 70,000 to £ 80,000
( )Above £ 80,000

(28)
What "other" services/products would you like your bank/financial
company to
offer you on a "mobile channel" ?

( )None
( )CDs/Records
( )Books
( )Travel
( )Video/CD Rom
( )Grocery
( )Computer and Games
( )Apparel
( )Consumer Electronics
( )Tickets
( )Alcoholic Drinks
( )Home & Garden Goods
( )Flowers
( )Toys
( )Others___________________

(29)
Country of residence ?

(30)
Any other comments ?

                  END

Please send the completed questionnaire to me at
onlineresearch2000@...
before Thur 14 Sept. 2000.

Many thanks !