[peel] Fw: Andy Kershaw

Kim Harrison-Lavoie kimhl@...
Tue May 30 19:59:25 CEST 2000

I'll add my reply to the pile:

Interesting that Andy Parfitt keeps pointing out that the
Radio 1 audience is constantly changing - I would be
willing to bet that Andy Kershaw's programme has had a
loyal and long-standing audience - perhaps if Radio 1
stopped surfing the trends and concentrated more on the
quality of programming they wouldn't have such a transient
audience. The point I tried to make in my email to him was
that programmes such as Andy Kershaw's give that transient
youthful audience the opportunity to discover a whole new
world of music they can enjoy for life.

I'm sorry Kim  - it was a really difficult decision  - I have spent time
last week discussing options for Andy K with my colleague Controllers at R3,
R4 and R2. as you say he is just the kind of presenter who ought to be on
the BBC. All are enthusiastic about his talents, as I promise you I am too.
I cannot speak on their behalf and they will make their plans known in due
course.  The point about Radio 1 is that its audience changes constantly and
new DJs and new forms of music are coming through too, this makes demands on
the Radio 1 schedule. (which is already packed with different and diverse
shows) Something has to give way and at some point we have to move on. Last
week we announced the line up of a new Thursday night schedule and I hope
you will appreciate the range and calibre of what we have planned. Andy is a
loss to Radio 1 but the new series that starts in September will be a
significant gain.

Thanks for taking the trouble to mail me
Andy