Peel to leave World Service??????

Tom Roche troche@...
Sat May 13 16:23:21 CEST 2000

 This from a Shorwtave e-news letter I read .... anyone know anything about this?

tom r

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-64, May 12, 2000
                edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages. DXLD may not be reposted in
its entirety without permission}

** U K. Glenn: Met a BBC reporter from Washington at Eli·n Gonz·lez`
hearing this morning in Atlanta. He says new BBC director, Dyke, is a
breath of fresh air and has been an improvement. He says one of his
first acts was to end the much-criticized policy that requires the
various radio outlets to pay to get discs from the library or to find
out how to pronounce a word.

I also lamented to him that John Peel appears to disappear from the
BBC WS schedule after next week, replaced on all of the muddied
streams by Steve Lamacq, who plays a more commercial alternative-rock
style than the wide variety of styles Peel has been playing for
decades. It was bad enough that we went from 3 x 30 min Peel every
week to 1 x 25 min. Now we're losing it completely, with absolutely
no explanation in the marginally useful "On Air" magazine. Rgds (Mike
Cooper, Atlanta, May 11, DX LISTENING DIGEST