[peel] Re: john peel

Keith Hawley keith@...
Tue May 9 22:07:19 CEST 2000

>>>Is it just me or are other people starting to tire of Johns constant on
>>>air mistakes

absolutely not.
it's the mistakes that give the show its Human quality, that you actually
feel there's a person there!

i AM starting to tire of all this country and western music he's been
playing lately, however...!

>>Do you prefer pre-recorded programmes with no mistakes? I like the live
>>shows... warts and all. Much better.

i don't go with this argument that the "warts" are what make the programme
good, give it its charm...
in fact it is sometimes mildly irritating*...

HOWEVER, it's the conditions/environment that allows those to happen which
is SO important (as opposed to the veneer of fake perfection in the
"produced" programmes)

but i think he is still the only DJ who doesn't talk over records. and i
think this is really important.

[*i think it would be VERY irrritating it i felt that the mistakes were
wilful or contrived (as someone suggested... here???) - that moves into
steve wright territory... yeuch...]

>Personality-driven radio.

pfffff! that's one of those terms that almost always means the exact
opposite... i think of these dreadful local commercial stations....

>..............Would we want a Peel show
>where a producer puts on the next minidisc'ed item and (like, say, Zoe
>Ball), the dj exclaims "oh, Pulp, I like this one!"

there is nothing less believable than someone going over the top in their
assertion of how "brillllllliant" something is....
(surely the fast show killed off that yoof-media pretence?)