Andy Kershaw (cont.)

David Clifford djhc2@...
Mon Jun 5 00:56:01 CEST 2000

I've also e-mailed Andy Parfitt about Kershaw (copy below). He's sending
out (or getting someone else to send out) generic replies, mine was all
but identical to everyone else's who wrote.

-------- copied mail ----------

I'm sorry David  - it was a really difficult decision  - I spent time last
week discussing options for Andy K with my colleague Controllers at R3, R4
and R2. as you say he is just the kind of presenter who ought to be on the
BBC. All are enthusiastic about his talents, as I promise you I am too. I
cannot speak on their behalf and they will make their plans known in due
course.  The point about Radio 1 is that its audience changes constantly
and new DJs and new forms of music are coming through too, this makes
demands on the Radio 1 schedule. (which is already packed with different
and diverse shows) Something has to give way and we have to move on. Last
week we announced the line up of a new Thursday night schedule and I hope
you will appreciate the range and calibre (not just dance) of what we have
planned. Andy is a loss to Radio 1 but the new series that starts in
September will be a significant gain.

Thanks for taking the trouble to mail me
Andy