[peel] Peterson

stig jmsmall@...
Wed Jul 12 16:17:01 CEST 2000

Stuart McHugh wrote:
> The point is that it's PEEL's show!!! The 10-12 slot Tues-Thurs isn't just
> a slot, it's when Peel plays the kind of music that we all expect. It's a
> bit like MAH going on holiday, and of course they get in a replacement
> presenter for the Rock Show. Now, even if it was Pete Tong that filled in,
> you would expect that he played ROCK and not the dance that is his taste.
> The same should go for the Peel slot. The last time he was off Lamacq
> filled in, and he adjusted accordingly, which probably pleased him as he
> didn't have to play the usual rubbish that he is forced to on the Session.

Yes, quite agree. I said last week that I assumed it'd be more than just
a straight copy of the Peterson show, but that's just what it was.
Lamacq is almost listenable when he stands in for Peel, but Peterson
either didn't understand the role of stand-in DJ or just didn't want to
adjust, and he's using it as an extension of his own programme. This
became evident when the opening jingle "worldwide worldwide worldwide
worldwide wordlwide worldwide worldwide, you get the picture yet?
worldwide worldwide worldwide" went on for about eight minutes. Peel
would've been on to his fifth record by then!

I do sometimes listen to Peterson's show after Peel on a Wednesday and
to be fair he does play some pretty decent stuff, but I think its
limited scope will become painfully apparent over three nights.

Stig