[peel] pianola request

Rob Brewer rbrwr@...
Sat Jul 8 14:01:27 CEST 2000

At 12:20 08/07/00 +0100, .Keith Hawley wrote:
>OK, going back a few weeks (months) now...
>
>but did anyone catch the name of the guy who did the ultrafast pianola rolls?
>it was something like "conla nan cara" but i've been unable to find out any
>more with that spelling....

Conlon Nancarrow.

There is certainly a 4-CD box set of the "Studies for Player Piano"
available in the UK - I noticed it when I was in the classical section
at HMV in Birmingham the other day. A quick search at HMV.co.uk comes
up with the information that the 2-CD versions are out of print. The
4-CD set is 34 quid. It's on Wergo, catalogue WER6907-2

Nancarrow was born in America in 1912, fought in the Spanish Civil War,
and emigrated to Mexico in 1940 after being harassed as a communist. He
died in 1997.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kgann/index2.html
http://news.mpr.org/features/199710/29_bakera_nancarrow/index.shtml

Rob