F50 45-41

Tom Roche troche@...
Sat Jan 8 15:53:17 CET 2000

Well yes, a song like "Walrus" may have been overplayed in its day, and then overplayed some more after its day, but time moves on and I liked hearing it again on the AllTime Festive Fifty... once. I also am enjoying the surprise factor....

As long as Peel puts some of these semi-tired old chestnuts in some sort of perspective - and the perspective he brings across 5 decades of music is the primary selling point of his show to me - then I dont mind at all this comparatively brief exercise in nostalgia.

Real old timers might have at one time wondered how radio could ever stop playing Benny Goodman or Frank Sinatra all the time, but time passes and even the Beatles and the Beach Boys will evetually fade away to a large degree.

There is certain to be some vote-getters in the next few shows that John particularly disdains, and he will indeed let us know, and it will make for fine radio.

tom in atlanta