F50 45-41

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Fri Jan 7 16:35:04 CET 2000

>I really thought Heroin should have been in the top 10. It doesn't sound
>like it was made in the 60s.
>The Beatles were pretty inevitable and I would expect one song per set of 5.
god I hope not... and I don't honestly think that will happen. I think
Peel's listenership isn't as retro as you might imagine and I also don't
think that there are as many old-timers left, though I think that Dylan
record might have been some sort of hangover from the 60's. As I said
before, if you look at the all-time charts from the 70's/80's they're very
'alternative' in that they're full of stuff like the Smiths, Pistols etc...
now, I don't know if the Smiths will have stood the test of time, that kind
of thing will be more interesting than anything else for yer anal
chart-watcher.
Anyway, it was a joy (or a relief?) to hear New Rose last night... but "The
Classical"? This is probably my 39th favourite Fall song ever, so it should
be interesting to hear the top 40 of the chart. "Heads of Dead Surfers"
anyone.
>Maybe he should have limited bands to just 3 songs or something.
Hmm, a bit draconian... but if it limited the guff that was in the chart so
far then I'd approve!

Maybe I'm being over-analytical?