aural examination

Stuart McHugh smchugh@...
Wed Sep 1 11:32:11 CEST 1999

>Was there any particular reason that during the "Sounds of the 60s and
>70s" bit that Hendrix was allocated a whole 20-30 seconds while
>everyone else was played in full (twice in the case of The Faces)?
I think the Faces were on constantly because of the mandolin player hiding
at the back... I also noted that the Hendrix piece was just film, the
sound, presumably from a record, didn't sync up at all (a bit like with
Siouxsie). Maybe they didn't have the rights to anything that matched up?

>The thing that struck me most during the documentary about Peel's
>career is just how much his accent has changed.  During the early years
>he sounded as if he had about as much personality as a Speak Your
>Weight Machine.
We were talking about this at home, I know he's mentioned this in interview
before and admits that he changed his voice, I think his explanation was
that his 'natural' accent is the posh one which in general isn't the kind
of accent which sounds too animated. But when he altered his accent for the
purpose of blagging his way into US radio it kind of stuck. Maybe he was a
nervous dj when he was young hence everything sounding a bit stilted?
Thae radio stuff from last night was quite interesting; were the Ragga
Twins really live, they seemed to segue from a session into a live set. I
haven't heard anything beyond 1am yet  but the only other acts live that I
heard were Gene and Dave Angel. Wonder if MES turned up - could he have
been sober at that hour?

Stuart
http://www.vacant.demon.co.uk