Hello from new list member

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Tue May 25 22:05:38 CEST 1999

Welcome to the list Ken.  I am sure we all have and admire your book

>PPS. Has there been discussion earlier in the list about the "whites-only
>playlist" allegations made so erroneously in the Guardian and Independent
>earlier this year? Journalists, eh? I wouldn't trust them

I think most people did their best to try and ignore the Guardian's
spate of Peel-bashing which also happened on certain Internet lists

I am not convinced if it is true that Peel plays less black than he used to.
I think it's more  a case of people remembering what they wanted to remember
It seems to come from those spurious reminiscences in the infamous Burchill
article where she seems to have listened to a different Peel prog than I
remember
and I've been listening since pirate ship days

It seems to me that even if it were true there is a perfectly good
justification for
it anyway.  In so far as Peel has a brief it must be to mostly play
what other people aren't playing.  Up until fairly recently there weren't too
many black music progs on Radio 1.  Now there are so it's perfectly logical
for Peel to play less of it

martinw