the gaps maketh the man

Stuart McHugh smchugh@...
Fri Jun 11 10:51:10 CEST 1999

>From: Martin Wheatley <martinw@...>
>

>Stig wrote
>
>>Look at his little face! It's almost as if he understands!
>
>No chance :-)
<snip snip snip>
>Since the researcher on the Peel show is Stig's generation I'd guess there is
>an expert in the library who has prepared them for him.  Later on Peel will no
>doubt select the tracks himself.
Miaow! What this little spat has shown is that the stuff Peel has been
playing so far in the Peelennium is pretty much unrepresentative of music
of the start of the century, and if what Mr. Wheatley says is true, not
even breaking the surface of what is available in the BBC libraries. Why
should this be? Certainly, it's not giving Stig, myself, and anyone else
who knows 'bugger all' about early music the chance to find out about it,
which is a opportunity missed. I must say that though it's been fascinating
to hear what people (well, maybe just the great unwashed) were listening to
90 or 100 years ago, it's all been pretty torturous listening. Anyone who
remembers 'The Good Old Days' on telly will surely agree. I would have
loved to hear what early 'ethnic' music was like.
Ah well, not long till Robert Johnson, eh?

Stuart