comedy slags

Stig jmsmall@...
Tue Jun 1 17:37:26 CEST 1999

Stuart McHugh wrote:
> It must just be me, in fact IMO Peel's taste in comedy, with the exception
> of the Fast Show (oh, ok, and HMHB), always seems to be for stuff which
> doesn't quite hit the mark - Absolutely was really patchy (though
> occasionally touched by genius)

I didn't know he recommended Absolutely. Probably before my time, I am
only 2 years old. He was a big fan of Brass Eye and Blue Jam of course,
and was spot on there.

> and wasn't that Royston Vasey thing another
> Peel favourite?

I don't think it was a "favourite", he wrote about it in his Radio Times
column but I don't think he recommended it unreservedly. He was mostly
impressed with the transexual taxi driver (and to be honest, the sexual
ambiguity was slightly arousing). I thought League of Gentlemen was a
bit crap myself and certainly didn't deserve all the hype it got. I
couldn't see any flair or originality behind the stereotypes.

> I've laughed at Lee and Herring in the past but I saw their show the other
> evening and thought it was lamentable, nary a titter. The new Hale and
> Pace, anyone? Though to be fair, they gave Gail Porter a much-deserved slagging.

To be accurate, Lee and Herring were never a Peel "favourite" either, he
mentioned their first ever show and there's been little since. I think,
like with Harry Hill, you need to be there from the start to follow the
"humour" (more surreal disruptions of formulaic expectation sprinkled
with faux-naif scatology than 'jokes'). They are certainly among the
cleverer of the comedians on our TV screens at the moment.

Stiggiwinky

--
jmsmall@...