I agree!

Andy Smith andys@...
Mon Feb 8 10:51:49 CET 1999

Andy (not me) wrote:

> i dislike radio 1s insistance on airing live music anyway,
> there's too much of it. the perfomances are usually too,
> er, raw and any atmosphere that there may have been at the
> venue just doesn't transmit

I agree. Most of the performances are rubbish anyway, and I hate it
when I remember to tape the Peel show only to find the next day that
I've got half an hour of Travis live.

Keith:
> it IS possible to record good live sound... yet
> they always make an arse of it!

Acshally when they recorded my band (ahem) for Sound City they did a
top job, as with all 4 bands who played that night. The engineers are
amazing - we just soundchecked the live sound and the Radio 1 guy
gave us the thumbs up. No extra effort required. I think some of the
worst sound is the festivals when the bands just get on stage and
plug in. I dont think they fuck up the mix deliberatly to foil
bootleggers, that'd be self-defeating after all, but I'm sure that's
why they talk over it. Having said that they seem to say 1FM a lot
more these days, and play trailers for Zoe Ball etc much more frequently
so maybe that's a new management directive to plug the station.

Stuart:

> there was something called 'need;e-time' which was intended
> to limit the amount of records played.

Didn't they used to get round this years and years ago by having lots of
(mostly dull) talk shows? They could bring back Round Table, that was a top
show, with the likes of Siouxsie and Simon Beast fighting over the week's
new releases. Everything one of them liked, the other hated. I suppose
that particular issue showed up everything that was wrong with the bad old
late 70's Radio 1.

I missed the xmas New Order session too. What was it like?

AndyTBTG