Yo La Tengo on Peel

Andy Smith andys@...
Thu Dec 9 11:08:29 CET 1999

I had high hopes for the Yo La Tengo set having heard an excellent
track just the other week (girl singer, haunting melody, a bit of
electric piano sound in the backing, plus occasional flute I think
- a bit Stereolabby overall), but I thought the live set was really
poor. Weak tunes, no progression or dynamics, just droning and rock
guitar. Just when I was gearing up to buy an album too.

I was similarly unimpressed with Nectarine no 9, and I've liked
their past records (but haven't bought any).

Somebody tell me I'm wrong - I'd like to be!

Andy